February 01, 2010

The many layers of Heidi

Notice the double layer of leggings and workout pants.

Note here I am wearing a wicked white tshirt, under a wicked long-sleeved light hoodie, under another heavier hoodie with pockets.

Winter running is a fun athletic feat in itself. Please note the upside-down head warmer. please find the irony in the fact that it says Harvard on it (i got it free from work). Also be assured that it was fixed before running outside.

It was 25 degrees yesterday, so running was... interesting- I got a dry throat about 10 minutes in, and had to break up my 30 min run into two smaller 15 min runs with a stretch in between. Today I ran for about 20 min, and my gastrocnemius (calf) muscles were sore. The cold was much better at 30 degrees. Pretty nice, in fact. I'd much rather run in cold weather.

Let's face it guys, running in the city means that lots of people see you as you run. As a (former) sprinter, I usually start off really fast on my runs, and tend to speed up whenever passing someone or running by someone. But when no one is around, I slow down quite a bit and regain my breath. If you ever see me running by you at a fast speed, it is all for show. Because lets be serious, when no one is around, I am a slow turtle indeed.

I'm hoping I'll find my pace the longer the runs get as I go on.

Tomorrow is a 35 min bike- I think I'll treat myself to a nice long bike along the lake, if no snow has accumulated.

di

2 comments:

  1. Neat! Does anyone run with a balaclava when it's that cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrm... haven't seen anyone wear one yet... a few bikers. I think it's still pretty warm.

    ReplyDelete