On Thursday night I went to the kick-off meeting at the LLS headquarters off the pink line. I generally don't enjoy going to mixers and social things where I don't know anyone, because probably my least favorite thing to do ever is to walk up to someone I don't know and start a conversation. ugh. But I went, because I knew it would be good for me, and I was looking forward to meeting people I might be training with.
And, good thing I did. Everyone was super welcoming, and I met two of my coaches and my mentor, and they allayed all my fears- about fundraising, the swimming portion (apparently our wetsuits double as flotation devices) and the mentality of the group (they seem super chill and fun).
Also, a survivor of leukemia talked, and he was genuinely inspiring. He got an experimental treatment that money from the LLS had funded and was researched here in Chicago. It cured him, and he now is a huge fan of LLS and TNT, and said he'd be willing to come speak if we got a group of friends together, and help us fundraise. He was pretty exuberant, and I felt good knowing that I could think about him every time I feel too tired to train or discouraged by fundraising.
Speaking of which, the wind is bitter here today, but I need to go run outside (all our runs are outside) for half an hour... oy! At least it's sunny, and I haven't seen the lake in almost two weeks, so I am looking forward to it.
di
That's awesome that you got to meet the survivor.
ReplyDeleteyay, comments!
ReplyDelete