February 09, 2010

swimming slow start

OH before anything- thank you again everyone who donated- as of last week I was the top fundraiser for my tri, and I get a prize this coming Saturday for being one of the first to send out 100+ emails asking for funds. So, thank you all!!!!

So, I was supposed to have my first swim practice last Saturday at UIC, and even cut my Friday evening (bowling with the classmates) short so I wouldn't be super tired for the morning swim. However, when I got to UIC in the morning, they had double booked the pool with TNT and the boy scouts, and the scouts won, so we just watched some swimming videos and had a impromptu fund raising seminar. We also had Firoza, a leukemia survivor talk about her illness and involvement with TNT. I will just quote our training newsletter this week because it really summed it up: What she said really puts life (and training... and fundraising...) in perspective. She said it best - "Thank you. Thank you for just being here." She started crying, I teared up, and it's really amazing to think about the other side of health- which you never think about when you're healthy.

I tuck these inspirations away for when training gets hard.

So, Saturday was a disappointment, and then I was supposed to have swim practice tonight, but am stranded by the snow in Wisconsin. I am going for a run on my dad's treadmill after I finish this post- about 35 minutes tonight. I didn't workout Saturday or Sunday, so this will feel good, I imagine.

On Friday I ran to the lake, and wisely chose to run when it began sleeting. The winds were horrible, and I basically got to the lake, thought to myself, what am I doing here... I wasn't properly dressed, so I just turned around and ran home. Still about 20 minutes running. My roommate was laughing when I came back in the door and said "Boy was that stupid." She said she was inspired when I left to go for a run in that weather, but then thought, or Heidi is really foolish. Yeah, foolish is more like it! :)

I did feel slightly guilty just giving up, when everyone has been so generous so far donating, but well... it was windy! and the sleet hurt!

Alright, I'm off to run, and that reminds me, I have a funny story about my dad and the treadmill. For next time.

di

No comments:

Post a Comment