
Yup, been awhile since I wrote. I worked out 5 times last week and had the appetite to show for it. Instead of ordering the regular 6 inch at subway, I ordered the footlong and had it finished in 20 minutes. Eating, actually, has been the biggest challenge last week- as my day to day schedule is never the same, it is difficult to find time to make food, buy food, and eat food. Especially when I need to remember to not eat before a workout. Part of the learning process!
Last Wednesday was the tri gear clinic, where I learned several things that I didn't know- apparently i need to buy special tri bike shorts, which I will wear during the run portion. Actually, the clothing goes like this: wetsuit, and under the wetsuit a quick dry sports bra and tri shorts, when I transfer to the bike portion I will throw on a biking jersey, and when I transfer to the running portion I just throw on another shirt, if I want. I am also probably going to buy special biking shoes that will lock into special pedals, which I will also need to buy.
Also, I learned about "nutrition" which is apparently different from food. It is quick digesting gels and gummy things that you jam into your pockets (that are conveniently located on the back of your shirt) and eat during the race. I have a pretty fickle stomach and am particular about eating and exercising, so I asked for more details after the clinic. Apparently, you burn up so much energy, that if you don't eat, your performance will go down. Welcome to endurance sports, Heidi.
So, some things that I have avoided my whole life- biking spandex and "nutrition" gels... apparently I will become quite familiar with. I sort of dread this. Stay tuned.
Anyways, I went home and my friend Aileen had sent me a website that she buys all her swimming gear at. So, I bought a new swimming suit and some laces that I'll take a picture of later- but basically they let you slip on your shoe without having to tie it. I just need to get those pedals, a cycling kit (for repairs), a new water bottle for my bike, some new running shoes and cycling shoes, tri shorts, tri swimming goggles, and a cycling jersey with back pockets.
Ah, shopping... the best part of training!
No comments:
Post a Comment