April 17, 2011

Books


Small word or two on books I've been reading. I just finished a 600 something page book by Dan Brown, called Deception Point. It served it's purpose well- went from suspension to about-face reveal over and over until the end- keeping me hooked, and passing the long commutes in a blur. Distracted me. Took a week to read. Meh.

Now I'm about to devour Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky. I predict a Russian author reading binge coming on. I'm finally in the right frame of mind to read a story about someone who hates everyone but most of all himself. Notes from Underground is quite perfect for that... "I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man."

I'll let you know how it goes.

"Another circumstance, too, worried me in those days: that there was no one like me and I was unlike any one else. 'I am alone and they are every one,' I thought- and pondered.
From that it is evident that I was still a youngster."
-Dostoevsky

3 comments:

  1. oooh, let me know how you like Dostoevsky's book. I read the Idiot by him a couple years ago and loved it.

    :)

    Expect an update from me on Wednesday or Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Crime and Punishment years ago... good times. If and when you should feel the need to venture westward from Mother Russia, may I also recommend Albert Camus, especially his essays (The Myth of Sisyphus) and The Stranger. Somewhat similar existential themes, but I'm a big fan of absurdism in particular.

    May I also say Heidi, that I'm in awe of your physical prowess. Keep it up girl, you rock!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, loving Notes from Underground. I find myself laughing out loud on the train as I read it. Can't wait to meet Caroline, Mel!!

    Camus, yes, thanks for the recommendation Sara. I will read him next. Physical prowess? Hardly! I am sore from hip hop.... my elbows are sore from all the arm movements. No lie. I have so far to go... But thanks! I think not having a car is keeping me in good shape, otherwise I'd be pretty weak.

    ReplyDelete