November 08, 2010

I keep thinking about this blue pot

Let me tell you why this pot moved me like a magnet to it's side, just so.

The shape, that perfect perfect shape. Just look at it from the side:
Do you see that perfect swoop from top to bottom that finishes at just the right balanced distance from the rim? Do you see that swoop?

I yearn to make the perfect profile on a pot- I have thrown hundreds of pots and have yet to make a profile I am even remotely proud of. It is a slow, arduous process that might take my whole life.
It is a task worthy of a lifetime.

And then there is the color.Beautiful, pure, robin's egg blue at just the right thickness to let a bit of the clay underneath come through. Perfect.

In a year, nothing has moved me more than this pot to start throwing pottery again. Alas, I need to finish my research, and then I am going to indulge until my skin is worn off at the wrists from throwing all day!! Maybe, just maybe, some day, I will have a wheel and kiln of my own. I have wanted this since high school. Maybe by next year, just maybe.

le sigh.

Do you ever dream about what you would do, had you the ability to not have to work 40+ hours a week?

Now that I've said what I wanted, I will say nothing more about this pot. Just know that it is stuck in my thoughts, stuck in my mind, and it has started pulling at my mind-thoughts until I will throw again, and then it will pull at my muscles until my fingers shape something just as worthy.

I went to the SOFA exhibit this weekend with some friends. It was inspiring. My one comment is that I wish they had more ceramics and less glassware. Also, everything seemed to have a whimsical edge to it this year, that pleased me very much.



this is my new train project:
YES! those are safety pins!

2 comments:

  1. What is the deal with this pot?

    It haunts my waking dreams!

    I need one in the worst way.

    Is it porous or slightly glazed?

    (I ask simply for coffee / beer consumption purposes. Via a straw, of course. I keep it classy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it amazing? slightly glazed. prob not viable to drink coffee or beer from. it is meant to inspire and endure. le sigh. it gives me le ennui with my life.

    ReplyDelete