This top has a pocket in the side and a hood and little pockets for your fingertips in case the cold tries to get in. I got it at Campmor and paid a pretty penny, but it will be my main cold weather insulator, and may keep me biking to below 20 degrees....
This is an simple underarmour long sleeve that fits perfectly and thus I will go as long as I can without washing it, lest it shrinks. It is super comfortable and I wore it for my run today, and with a heavier underarmour tshirt underneath, it was perfect warmth for a 40 degree day. Running, maybe not so much walking- then I needed an extra hoodie. I bought it because it was labeled Heat Gear which I thought mean to keep you warm on cold days, but indeed, is meant to keep you cool on hot days. It works well for cold weather layering regardless!
Here I am in my balaclava, wherein I feel like a cold-weather ninja. Don't you just love the word balaclava?
This is the pièce de résistance, the one that keeps me warmest, driest, happiest, above all. The Showers Pass Double Century Rain Jacket. Which I love because it blocks out all wind and rain, and yet has super breathability so you don't feel all humid inside. It also has a lower cut backside so that when I bend over my bike I am not exposing my bare back to the world. Another nice feature is a cloth lining around the neck so that you don't feel the cold plastic against your chin. I got this style because it is the most compressible, and wads up nicely to fit into my backpack if I don't need it, when commuting. I only wish it had pockets in the front. But there is a large pocket in the back. love. it.
Good gear is so important. Also, it is quality stuff, built to last through anything. I have found it a necessity when biking and exercising, to be properly clothed. I used to be a cotton t-shirt, old pair of gym shorts person, and that got me through 10 years of track from grade school through college. But now that I bike every day and run on the weekends, in all weather, proper gear is just so much better.
And a 100 dollar biking jacket is still way less than a 3,000 dollar used car!
No comments:
Post a Comment