June 03, 2011

One at a time

Deliberately.

I read recently that our brains are not wired for multi-tasking. We just cannot handle it.

I am the QUEEN of multi-tasking. When I cook, I usually cook the dessert, dinner, and a side dish all at once. Fast paced. I can't handle interruptions, and I fly around the kitchen, using my whole body- my feet to close a cupboard, one hand to reach one way to grab a bowl while the other adjusts the oven temperature. I have at least 5 browser windows open at all times whenever I'm on the internet. If I gchat, it's with at least 3 people at once. I have 8 scrabble games going on right now. My activities- all varied, from dance to volleyball to French to ceramics. A million things, all at once, all at a whirl.

Today I tried desperately. to. stop. One thing at a time, I kept reminding myself. I am listening to my body, and turning in early on a Friday night, despite an uncommon number of invitations to go out (my friend just called to say Matt Damon was sitting across from her at a sushi place!) tonight. But no, I must sleep. My body needs rest. One thing at a time.

Patience.

Confidence.

It requires confidence in my decisions to decide to do one thing only. Patience to see it through to the end. Multitasking is easy. This, is not. The fear of missing out is strong when you do one thing at a time. And, to be honest, I am missing out right now. At this very moment. On several things. But with my attention constantly split, I will never be more than mediocre. And mediocre is frustratingly less than my full potential.

So, enough. No more multitasking. I am going to saunter. To pedal leisurely. To embrace experiences, wholly. To learn, deeply. To give someone my complete undivided, rested, focused attention, instead of fractions of myself.


Let's see how this goes.

2 comments:

  1. excellent idea. although matt damon?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i know, Matt Damon. If it's meant to be between us, it will happen ;)

    ReplyDelete