March 31, 2011

Medical Artist stuff

Beautiful image c/o http://www.project1231.com/#1196373/Photographs
by Croix Gagnon and Frank Schott

So, a huge part of being a medical artist is finding sources. The better your source, the better your art. I usually use at least three sources for every illustration and model I make. The Visible Human project took a prisoner who was executed, and researchers shaved his body into dust, while taking photographs and xrays of each layer of his body. This immense set of data can be manipulated through programs and data readers like Osirix and Mimics.

This is incredibly useful to the field, and every medical artist is familiar with the Visible Human. The data is complete, and organs can be rendered into 3d organs, can be used as sources for other artwork, and can be sliced into whatever view is needed for the project.

These artists
took an approach I have never seen before, despite having worked with the Visible Human data for the past three years. I like how the Visible Human becomes more than just a data set through these haunting photographs. I also like the message and the meaning behind the project name, 12:31. You can read about that here.

Bravo, Croix Gagnon and Frank Schott.

No comments:

Post a Comment