I know, cooking.
I have found that when I get stressed, I tend to get some anxiety, and when I get anxious, I lose my appetite. Fast. And thoroughly. I also have a fast metabolism and lose weight easily, so once I miss a meal, it can make me feel off for a few days, which further stresses me out and downward spiral here we come.
Recently, however, I have discovered the joy of cooking. It really is a joy. All of my past and present roommates could tell you that I am an expert noodle boiler. Noodles and a bit of butter with some green olives and maybe a slice or two of cheddar cheese is as much effort as I usually put in to a meal. This year, though, I've discovered this amazing blog, the Smitten Kitchen, that has fantastic recipes. Not a single one that I've made has gone wrong. I've also discovered a bit of joy in cooking- it only takes maybe 30 minutes to make a pretty good-tasting meal, (unless its risotto) and once it's finished you always have a nice sense of accomplishment. It's relaxing. And it can be artistic- leave out an ingredient here, add one there- you control the outcome.
Also, putting so much effort into make a good-tasting meal encourages me to eat, even when I have no appetite. The cooking relaxes me, and by the time the food is ready, I am so curious as to what I've made that I can't help but taste it. When anxious, meals were just something to get through, but now, by facing my fear of no appetite and losing weight by making a delicious meal, I have realized I can conquer this aspect of my anxiety too.
Although tonight I made a mysterious crock pot meal, and accidentally inhaled some boiling vinegar. I still have a headache. Oy. Learning pains.
And you always thought I was crazy when I said that cooking is relaxing! Let's cook together soon please!
ReplyDeleteI think I forgot to tell you that your post on cooking garlic mushrooms (a month ago, maybe?) led me to Smitten Kitchen for the first time, which led to some ridiculous roasted butternut squash/chickpea/tahini salad that I've made and devoured 3 times.
ReplyDeleteThat, and like you, I am so much happier, relaxed and ready to sleep when I work for a meal (even if quite late) and eat it than I am after inhaling multiple bowls of cereal instead. It's a good goal.
Karin: ooo that sounds delicious. I am going to look up that salad for this week! Yes, bowls of cereal are never quite as satisfying.
ReplyDeleteLindsey: yes of course let's cook! And yeah you were right, cooking is relaxing. So stop teasing me about my boiling noodles and green olives!