I did the aqua run today: 30 min swim in the lake, in my wetsuit, and then a 30 min run. It was pretty exhausting- I think part of the reason was because I only had a banana and a bit of bagel before the workout. I was pretty hungry and tired the last 10 min of the run. Also, the swim was difficult- I had a really hard time keeping myself in a straight line. The wetsuit felt constricting around my neck, and restricted my arm movement. I definitely prefer to swim without a wetsuit! But it did keep me fairly buoyant. I had a few good strokes where it felt like I was in the pool, so I think it's just a matter of being comfortable and getting used to it. I plan on swimming in the lake every day day until the tri so I get used to it. I didn't notice the cold at all. In fact, I was pretty warm. The water temp was around 75.
So that's that.
I dreamt last night about the tri. I was pretty nervous for this morning. I forgot what training is, in a lot of ways, and have to conquer all those fears again to let myself enjoy the physical challenge. You know, fears of seeing a dead body in the bottom of the lake, of having a heart attack, of drowning, or missing my start or forgetting some equipment. I know, I know. I have a pretty active imagination and tend on the anxious side. It's who I am. And every time I do something new I need to remember how to just relax and have fun with it. Which is why I am constantly doing new things!! It's a challenge for me. And I always, always eventually get to that laid-back-devil-may-care-let's-just-have-fun-let's-do-it-again place.
Yesterday I spent the day prepping myself for everything I would need for the tri and going to the two triathlon stores nearby and buying a ton of bike gear. I went to Element Multisport and they were terrific, helping me get everything on my list: a special wicking hat for my run (my hair is super long and a ponytail doesn't hold it in, plus it gets tangled really easily especially when wet, so I knew I'd need a hat to keep it away from my face), a new water bottle rack for my bike which they installed while I waited, a bento box with a CO2 cartridge and a new tire tube and two levers to take my bad tube off in case I get a flat, and patches for my tube, and they threw in a free water bottle!!
I'll take pictures of it all and post them eventually.
They also gave me a really great crash course in changing a flat. I feel much more confident going into my race knowing this. It's also just good to know with all the biking that I do for transportation. I feel empowered :)
Eventually I'd like to build a bike from spare parts on my own just so I can do my own repairs. It's really because I just use bikes so much in the city, and I enjoy learning these things. Case in point: scooter. I was fixing it almost every weekend, taking it apart and putting it back together. Especially that darn clutch. SO, yeah. fun times. I enjoy this. I get it from my pa.
This week I got out of work early to go to the midweek swim, but still missed the workout because I got there about 45 min late, because I couldn't find a cab at Clybourn station... urg. I don't want to talk about it. I need a car.
Other than that, everything felt good today- gear is all set and I am good to go. This is what I plan on wearing, eating, and doing the day of the tri, in case anyone is interested in the details:
We need to set up transition my 5:45am. I plan on getting there around 5:15 or so. Mine and Shen's wave (we're in the same wave!! whoohoo!) starts at 6:58 am. I will eat a bagel with peanut butter, eggs (scrambled) and a banana before the race. Yeah, I'm a pretty big breakfast person. I wake up STARVING. I'll probably bring about 3 water bottles, one with Gatorade, 2 of which I'll take on my bike, one I'll leave at transition. I'll also bring some granola bars or brownies in case I just can't stand it after my bike, but I should be fine.
Clothes: I'll wear my favorite sports bra and tri shorts under my wetsuit and then throw on a biking jersey for the bike and a running jersey for the run. The tri shorts are with me the whole time. And then the hat for the run, helmet for bike. the only worry is the bra... the wetness is annoying in the fact that I feel exposed... it's not really uncomfortable though, so amongst the 7,000 tri-ers on Sunday, I'll just endure it and try to blend in. if I do another tri I'll buy a tri-specific bra that will dry faster.
Thats about it! There's so much planning and preparing that goes with triathlons!! It's quite nuts and NO, I had no idea what I was getting myself in to. But I really love it all and want to do these for the rest of my life. And ballet, of course. Speaking of which I can't wait to get back into a ballet class once my life calms down.
Shen comes on Wednesday and then all the fun starts!! Let's go.
No comments:
Post a Comment