June 27, 2010

screw mono and my swollen spleen, i'm going for a bike ride.

Just got back, in fact.

It. Was. Brutal.

Before I even put shoe to pedal, I told myself: only 30 minutes. I don't care how good it feels to be out on a beautiful sunny summer afternoon flying along at top speeds on your bike, which you haven't ridden in nearly two months, only 30 minutes. And that includes the bike to the lake.

I didn't have to set any time limits. 15 minutes in I decided to take a break and stare at the gorgeous blue lake for about 5 minutes, and drink half my water bottle. I don't know if it's the 80 degree weather or the fact that I haven't biked in so long, but it's like starting all over again. 15 minutes on the bike and I'm panting hard.

pistons of doom, pistons of doom. my legs are pistons of doom.

The good thing is that my legs don't hurt. It was more the oxygen and racing heart that slowed me down. still, it felt really good. Even though I had to weave in between DOZENS of people, including rollerbladers HOLDING HANDS taking up the entire way, and children swordfighting with balloon swords and people who just didn't give a damn about where they walked or getting out of your way, I love the lake. and the blue expanse of sky and golden sunlight and I even love the effort it takes to bike and have my lungs scream for mercy.

because I won't be able to do this forever. and a few weeks ago I couldn't. so I am blessed to be able to bike today.

No comments:

Post a Comment