June 04, 2010

doldrums

So...... .... .... ......... .. ..... . having infectious mono is boring.

i could REALLY use a long bike ride.

Last week I had lots of fun complications with the mono involving my liver, which meant I spent part of my days and nights on the bathroom floor vomiting... tmi? Anyway, that fun is all over, and today is the first day I feel "normal". My tonsils no longer look like a drawing assignment on the manifestation of infectious mononucleosis, and I'm not super exhausted or nauseous. So, I walked to the bank today, which was pretty much the most exercise I have done in the past 3 weeks. I really want to walk to the lake right now but know better. It would probably be too much for one day.

A word on how I got mono- I have NO idea. I don't know anyone who has it, I haven't kissed anyone in months, and I am the ultimate germaphobe when it comes to sharing utensils and drinks. I blame public transportation.

Does anyone know if you can do situps with mono? I'm pretty sure my spleen isn't enlarged, but the doc did say no running for awhile in case of rupture. No more fist fighting either.

It's really something else to have your life completely stopped. And let's face it, I haven't hated it. I don't have to see people, I have so much time to think, and just exist. Also, I didn't go home, and there's some sort of confidence knowing that I can still fend for myself in the city even with mono. My roommates helped me out with groceries and my friend brought over chicken noodle soup, and went with me to one of my dr visits, but mostly, it's been me taking care of me. I feel strong. Like I could move to London all by myself and be OK.

I feel the need for an adventure. The need is like an itch. This idea of London is growing...

Anyway, as for the tri... I will try to do the Aug tri in Chicago, but I am concerned- I don't have much time to train- less than 2 months, and I'm not sure what the doctor would say. Sad times. I WILL get a tri in this year!!!! I WILL!! I'm sure those muscles I worked so hard for those past 4 months are still here somewhere....

2 comments:

  1. Situps are fine just no contact sports (so the kung Fu will have to wait) or anything where you might fall...I had mono senior year of high school, it sucked (no riding for weeks!), but I got through it ok...I also didn't get it from kissing anyone, someone with it must have licked a doorknob or something. Ew. Gross...oh, btw it stays in your system for 6 months so you can still pass it on for awhile. :( Talk about a dating deterrent! I'm sure you'll be fine for the August tri, though, and you've been working hard so I know you can go the distance! I'll be rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sweet, thanks Lauren!!! I will get some ab workouts in today then! That really made my day, you have no idea. Bummer on not being able to ride. that really stinks. I guess that makes sense though. wow... 6 months... I sort of feel powerful though, like I can spread it to whoever I want. I'm biochemical(biovirus?) warfare. Is "who wants monnnnoooo?" a good pick up line at a bar? :) I'll have to try that one out...

    ReplyDelete