
A few weeks ago I was at a fabric store by school getting supplies for a school project. I found a bin full of appliques, and this deep purple one that called out to me to make something out of it. I immediately thought of stringing it around my neck or wrist as a sort of bracelet. I left the shop without buying any because they didn't sell clasps or chains, and I really wasn't sure how to make jewelry. I decided to check out the other stores along the street, and one of them was a jewelry-making bead store. I started talking to the owner and described my idea of a necklace to her, and we decided I should go buy those appliques and come back over and pick out some chains to match. So, I ran across the street and bought the deep purple applique and some other ones that I liked, and then went back to the jewelry store and bought some chains and clasps. I ended up talking with her for about an hour, as we discussed ideas about how to make these necklaces. She suggested putting two clasps on the chain, since then you could swap the chain with many different appliques.
The rest is history. I researched jewelry making, found a website that sold more chains and clasps, and bought a bunch of chains and appliques. Yesterday I made about 14 necklaces and bracelets, and listed them on Etsy, I worked on them all day, took pictures, listed them, and fell asleep around 4am. Good times.
So, this is how I'm going to pay rent this summer! I'll see how well it goes over, and then add beads and other jewels to them, maybe try to sell them in a craft store or something... we'll see. The possibilities are endless! I love them all and want to keep them all for myself...
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DijoDesigns
Also check the Etsy link at the bottom of my blog page.
No comments:
Post a Comment