but first, a quick update- swam about 1700 y on Tues, and my trapezius is so sore! yesterday i ran and my stomach was very nasty, but it still felt good to run. today i bike. the weather has been horrible- 40s and raining. plus I think I'm getting sick, so it's very hard to leave the apartment. Oh, also, got my wetsuit and TNT tri top yesterday so, pictures of them later on in the day. good for a laugh...
but my dad. SO. A few months ago I went home, and my dad was like, hey, heidi, i have something to show you. So I followed him to the study, where he had a treadmill!! He had bought it at goodwill for like 5 bucks or something and proceeded to show me how he uses it. My dad, who, btw, is 6'4... got on the treadmill and held on to the rails with both hands on either side of the treadmill and showed me how he "walked" every morning, for about 15 minutes... the thing was, my dad is tall, and holding on to the rails that were lower than waist height for him, made him almost double over while he was walking. I asked him, "dad, why do you hang on to the rails?" he answered, like I was an idiot, "so I don't fall off, Heidi!!" "dad, you know that if you just keep walking you won't fall off, right?" "no, you can't be sure of that Heidi, because you see, the tread just keeps going." By now I was doubled over myself, laughing. My dad is not a stupid man. But no, he is not athletic. He is strong, and does lots of yardwork and builds things like sheds and fireplaces and cars, but we were lucky to get him to play catch with us when we were little. He and my mom were always sort of more curious than proud at my interest in track and high jump. Like, they never quite understood WHY I would want to run in a circle or jump over a bar. They came to my meets almost more out of curiosity, I think. I'm not sure my dad had ever been on a treadmill except for stress tests before he bought one himself. So, seeing him doubled over doing his "workout" and looking at me like I was insane for thinking he was insane, was just hilarious.
I got on the treadmill and showed him how I run on it without holding on to anything, and see? I don't fall off. Then my mom, who was watching all this, asked if, since I was running, could the floor handle it and wouldn't I fall through the floor?
oy.
No comments:
Post a Comment