March 06, 2010

I dig you with a big shovel.

So... I spun today. (Spun? spinned? spuninered?) They had divided our team up into A-L and M-Z, and the first group went at 8am, the second at 9. Well.... I was the only one to show up for my group!

That meant, while I was honestly hoping to "ease" into a workout (read: fake increasing resistance), I ended up going full blast as the coach and I tore through the spin workout. I also asked about my foot pain, and he just recommended getting new shoes and seeing if that helped. My running shoes are 3 years old, so probably are ready for a replacement. I've been looking into what I call finger shoes lately, and tried some on yesterday at REI. They make it feel as though you are running barefoot. I love being barefoot, and running barefoot in the wilderness (or along the lake) sounds like immense amounts of fun to me. They cost about the same as a new pair of running shoes. I emailed my running coach and asked his opinion on "finger shoes." He mentioned looking into Newton running shoes which keep the ideas of barefoot running but aren't quite as barefoot as finger shoes. Finger shoes require easing into them in order to get the proper muscles strengthened enough to use them without hurting yourself. I think I'll get a normal pair of running shoes, and then buy the finger shoes later this summer when I can go to my parents and run in the countryside and grass. We'll see, jury is still out.

In other news, today was a "mission day" when we hear about someone who had cancer and they share their experience. Today, a team member, Leslie, stood up and talked about having cancer 10 years ago. She has been my "swimming buddy" because we are at about the same level during team swims. She was diagnosed two days before Christmas, and her dad was diagnosed a few months before her, and while talking about her treatments she started crying. I found tears in my eyes as she struggled to convey to us how much our involvement with TNT means to her, and how badly she wants to see a cure for leukemia and lymphoma. Then she said, "You guys, I dig you- with a big shovel." And we all laughed and applauded her courage. Again, I really hope I never have cancer, but the empathy I feel towards survivors sometimes is overwhelming. I am inspired by the courage it takes to get through treatments, and humbled by the attitude that doesn't give up in the face of death. I give up in the face of a strong headwind 5 minutes into my run! I have never been much of an endurance person, opting usually for the easiest route, but having cancer, and training and doing a tri is all about taking the only way out- the hard way, no corners to cut. Honestly, training and raising money to help find a cure is one of the best things I have ever done with my life. It is already changing me so much for the better, and not just physically.

One more thing. I need to decide soon whether to do the olympic or sprint distance of the triathlon. Distances again:

Olympic: Swim .9 miles, Bike 27 miles, Run 6.2 miles
Sprint: Swim 400 m, Bike 20K, Run 4K

Any suggestions which I should do?

No comments:

Post a Comment