March 04, 2010

Inertia

An object at rest stays at rest. -Newton's first law

It's true, I've lost some momentum (p=mv) this week. And gained quite a bit of inertia.

It all began with a trip home on Saturday, when I missed my running workout due to a missed bus, due to construction, so I had to take a later train home.

Then Sunday, I did run, and with someone! And for a good long time, too. With no stopping. It just further re-established that I really need a running partner because I am way too easy on myself when it comes to running, and can do a lot better than what I do.

Typical running thought process- "Wheeee this is fun! Ah, so nice to stretch my legs. I wonder how fast I can sprint down the sidewalk. Will people think I just robbed a store if I run really really fast? Let's see."
10 minutes later- "I'm dying. The lake looks so lovely today. My feet hurt. My side aches. The wind is cold and makes my mouth dry. Keep going, Heidi."
5 minutes later- "I'm running so slow now that it's not even fun. Only sprinting is fun. I think I'm going backwards. Is it possible to run backwards while bending your knees forward? yes, of course it is, that's a silly question....horse's knees bend weird."
5 minutes later "Forget this. I'm taking a 'stretching break.' I need to really study the colors of the lake right now anyway. It will help my art."
sit, look at lake, stretch, look at lake, sit, get cold, start running again.
"Ah, I feel better after that rest. I really shouldn't've though. I can't do that during a race. And seriously, I only ran 20 minutes. What's the deal. Ok, to make up, I'll just run the last 20 minutes faster."
10 minutes later- "Why do I do this to myself? I like to sprint. Distance running makes my legs move sooo slow..... and I've run out of things to think about. ...... ...... ............ see? i've got nothing. I'm going to walk now to cool off."

and so on. So, yeah, I should probably run with someone else so I can stop this insane inner dialogue that let's me walk after 20 measly minutes of running.

Monday I also skipped working out, Tuesday I skipped my swim b/c I didn't feel like traveling 80 minutes to swim for 60, plus I felt tired. Wednesday, I did run, but it was turned into more of a walk b/c I decided to mix things up and go "exploring". Bad idea, when you live downtown. and it's 5pm. There's really no where to run besides the lake at that time of day. Today, I am skipping ballet and my bike ride, and just going to stretch and relax and do some abs, because, well, I have too much inertia to ruin it now. And to top it off, I walked in my apt today and had a nice handwritten note from TNT, thanking me for my participation and training. Well, you can guilt me all you want, I am not biking today.

Tomorrow is my swim workout. I won't miss this one, I promise you guys.

Here's some motivation for you (and me):

No comments:

Post a Comment