Whenever someone asks me why I decided to train for a triathlon, I give a different answer. Sort of like when someone asks me why I decided to study medical illustration. It's not because I'm not sure, or I am making up reasons, or tailor my answers to the person asking, but because there are just that many reasons why... in short, it's complicated.
But let me try to explain, or fill in some sort of awkward framework of my thought process.
A few years ago I was cruising the internet, and read a blog entry by someone who decided to run a triathlon. She laid out how she almost had a panic attack in the middle of the swimming portion, and I thought to myself, "hells no, I will never do a triathlon. why would anyone want to do a tri? I could never do that."
and then there's this quote:
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do things that you think you can not. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Whenever I am afraid of something, or even think to myself, uh, no way... I usually end up doing it. Even if it's years later. A long time ago I sort of took it upon myself, that whenever something or the idea of something frightened me, to do it. So, that's one reason why I'm doing a tri.
Another reason is the nature of my existence. I spend a LOT of time behind a computer screen, researching, drawing, painting, designing, modeling, animating, editing, writing... etc. I have always had some athletic outlet, and since entering grad school, that dwindled to a run every couple of weeks if I was lucky. Exercising nearly every day has made the time I do spend behind a computer more productive, and has cut back on my intolerance for sitting still for so long. It was something that I knew needed to change in this new year if I wanted to be happier than last year.
And then there is Chicago. A city where I have biked extensively along the lake, ran extensively along the lake, and watched people swim in the lake. If there is any city to train for a tri, it's Chicago.
And the need to do something to help others. Before grad school, I have always volunteered in some capacity. This ceased with the start of grad school. Training with TNT helps me fulfill that need.
2010, the new year. New beginnings. I always wanted to be more of an endurance athlete. Instead of wanting, I decided in 2010 to start doing. And, here I am- I can run, bike, and swim further than I ever could in my life... and after only 1.5 months of training!
Personal reasons. Sometimes, in order to get clarity of mind you need to empty your body. This is going to be a very stressful year, there is no way around it. I am graduating from grad school (no more school! whoo!), my brother is getting married, my best friend is getting married (I have many MOH duties... centerpieces, parties, and whatever else Kim can think of), I'm becoming an aunt (next week!), I might move (east coast? tug boat? Mississippi?), I need to start paying back student loans (egads!), I need a full-time CAREER job (yay!), and I'm turning 28 for pete's sake (you HAVE to round 28 to 30, when rounding). It's time I start becoming the person I want to be, rather than wanting to be, or thinking I'm someone I'm not. I knew going into this year that I needed an outlet that wasn't art or music or academic or socially related, and that would challenge me physically. Very few things have come close to the catharsis that training every day provides.
Also, sometimes, I just get an idea in my head, and until I do it, I will never get it out.
So, well, here I am. 3.5 months later, since I got this idea in my head. And this is just the top layer of reasons... I could go on and on, but let's face it. These posts are long enough.
Another reason is the nature of my existence. I spend a LOT of time behind a computer screen, researching, drawing, painting, designing, modeling, animating, editing, writing... etc. I have always had some athletic outlet, and since entering grad school, that dwindled to a run every couple of weeks if I was lucky. Exercising nearly every day has made the time I do spend behind a computer more productive, and has cut back on my intolerance for sitting still for so long. It was something that I knew needed to change in this new year if I wanted to be happier than last year.
And then there is Chicago. A city where I have biked extensively along the lake, ran extensively along the lake, and watched people swim in the lake. If there is any city to train for a tri, it's Chicago.
And the need to do something to help others. Before grad school, I have always volunteered in some capacity. This ceased with the start of grad school. Training with TNT helps me fulfill that need.
2010, the new year. New beginnings. I always wanted to be more of an endurance athlete. Instead of wanting, I decided in 2010 to start doing. And, here I am- I can run, bike, and swim further than I ever could in my life... and after only 1.5 months of training!
Personal reasons. Sometimes, in order to get clarity of mind you need to empty your body. This is going to be a very stressful year, there is no way around it. I am graduating from grad school (no more school! whoo!), my brother is getting married, my best friend is getting married (I have many MOH duties... centerpieces, parties, and whatever else Kim can think of), I'm becoming an aunt (next week!), I might move (east coast? tug boat? Mississippi?), I need to start paying back student loans (egads!), I need a full-time CAREER job (yay!), and I'm turning 28 for pete's sake (you HAVE to round 28 to 30, when rounding). It's time I start becoming the person I want to be, rather than wanting to be, or thinking I'm someone I'm not. I knew going into this year that I needed an outlet that wasn't art or music or academic or socially related, and that would challenge me physically. Very few things have come close to the catharsis that training every day provides.
Also, sometimes, I just get an idea in my head, and until I do it, I will never get it out.
So, well, here I am. 3.5 months later, since I got this idea in my head. And this is just the top layer of reasons... I could go on and on, but let's face it. These posts are long enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment