December 02, 2010

The sickness has my body. But not my soul.

I don't think I'd fare very well if I had a long, drawn out sickness where I wouldn't be able to leave my bed for a long period of time. After one day I start to get bored, and after two I get very down. After three I am in the depths of despair and after four I try to just ignore the sickness and pretend I'm all better. Actually, I do that on day 2.

On Tuesday night I had the most wonderful dinner with some old grad school friends, to celebrate two of theirs thesis defenses. Promptly two hours later I was clutching the toilet and the entire contents of my dinner were coming out both ends. This lasted for 12 hours, until there was nothing left to be excreted. Too much detail? Maybe. But, really, even while I was throwing up through my nose, I couldn't help but marvel at our amazing immune system.

It was pretty clear that I had food poisoning. Something that was SO HORRIBLE was residing in my stomach and had to get OUT immediately. And my body was going to do anything in it's power to get it OUT immediately, even awaken me at 4 in the morning so I could spew all over my floor. And then give me a fever the next day so I wouldn't do too much. But, it worked! I am feeling much stronger 48 hours later, and my body can add another antibody to it's roster.

Quite. Amazing.

My immune system just took control of my life and said, 'nope, heidi, we're going to take care of this one. You sit back and push the fluids.' And nothing I could do, no matter how worried i was about work or moving or a million things, could change the fact that my body was taking over.

I don't think I'll ever cease to be amazed by the human body!

That being said, enough already. I still have a rumbly stomach and I hardly ate all day, but darnnit, I am going to work tomorrow. I can't take any more episodes of Grey's Anatomy and I already watched all the Mary Tyler Moore reruns when I had mono, so enough. I have a hand model to finish.

3 comments:

  1. Hope it passes quickly and you're back to your 6 mile bike rides... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, yo! Although it's going to STORM here and SNOW all day tomorrow (EEEE!!!) so I think my biking days are over. I dragged my bike up to the porch for winter, and sure enough, it got a flat over the past three days when I didn't ride it. Sure sign that it's time to get a car. I'll miss my bike rides. le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "depths of despair" - love it

    ReplyDelete