February 27, 2011

Becoming buff

Well, not biking to work every day and not training for a triathlon for the past three months is about to come to an end! I'm starting to bike to work starting tomorrow- I decided March is a good reason to start biking. Hopefully the path won't be too icy, but I'm not very concerned. I look forward to the struggle.

Yesterday I went for a run along the lake in the morning, with slowly drifting snowflakes waltzing from the sky. The lake was a brown-blue color, and the sky a pearl gray-white. This contrasted with the warm neutrals of the city and the carpet of white snow on the path. The colors were muted, but absolutely beautiful. I heard once that some people naturally love the bare trees and dull colors of winter, and some just naturally don't- I am one of those that do. I don't need sun or saturated grass and sky to think the countryside is beautiful; I've always thought the barrenness of winter has a class of beauty all it's own.

I say this wearing bright teal pants and an orange t-shirt with bright orange nails. I do love color on my person.

I probably ran no more than 2 miles, but it was in 25 degree weather and with no stopping, once I put my mind to it. I stopped a lot on the way out, to gaze out into the lake, but ran back without stopping.

Today I went for a 30 min swim- 800 yards total. Followed by a 10 min soak in the hot tub, which I am convinced melted my vertebrae away, I was so relaxed. Right now I have the usual aches of exercising pretty hard irregularly, but also the satisfying exhaustion that comes when muscles have been used. I found a swim training website that takes you from 0 to 1 mile in 6 weeks with three days of swimming a week. I'm going to try to follow it, and run 3 days as well, with one day of rest. On top of biking 12 miles a day in 3 mile increments, I should be set to do my tri's this summer. I still need to decide which ones... right now I am leaning towards one in MS in September, one in Boston in August, and one in CA in late May. That's a lot, so we'll see!!

I'll probably throw in some ballet this summer too.

My bike is pimped out. Fenders, long-range lights, computer, new tune up every 6 months, two water bottle holders, new seat... I take care of it better than I take care of myself!

2 comments: