October 30, 2010

to my donors, aka the fantastic ones.


I need to write this post, it has long been a burden on my mind. I need to write a THANK YOU post for all the people that donated to my triathlon and encouraged me along the way- asking how training was, offering their tips and advice, encouraging me through my mono, and, essentially, giving a bit of themselves to help people in far more unfortunate physical condition than ourselves.

For what it's worth, I admire each person immensely.

Let's start with what my donors did for the LLS. Their donation, no matter how small, helped fund research for blood cancers. Every 4 minutes one person is diagnosed with a blood cancer. Most likely, you know someone or know someone who knows someone who has had blood cancer. Blood cancers will account for nearly 9.5 percent of the deaths from cancer in 2010. That number has decreased from 1998 to 2007, in part because of the funding for research.

I wish each one of my donors could have been there when one of our "honored heroes" (a person who had survived a form of blood cancer) got up to speak about their experience and what TNT meant to them. I thought of many of their faces and stories as I ran the triathlon- from Noah, who isn't even one and is battling Leukemia, to a girl my age who has already beaten cancer, to Fironza who now, after battling Lymphoma, trains for TNT events with her entire family. What different lives they have led, what struggles they have faced that are a bazillion times worse than my struggles, what lessons they have learned and scars they will carry for the rest of their lives. And because of YOUR donations (my donors), they most of all feel supported in their illness, and encouraged that one day, there may be a cure. Support, hope, and encouragement can go a longgg way.

And now, what the donors have meant to me. This triathlon was a bit of a purging for me, this year was hands down the most difficult year of my life, for many reasons. And, for many reasons, I decided on last New Years I needed a physical activity that would consume my time, mind, and body. I also had an overwhelming desire to do something, anything, for someone else. This came together seamlessly in TNT. But I could not have done it, would not have trained nearly as hard (to the point of exhaustion and mono, even!) had I not had support. I hope you all realize how nonathletic and uncoordinated I am. Or, was, before this triathlon undertaking. I called my dad right after I had signed up with TNT for the tri, and he said, are you sure? do you really think you can do this? And he wasn't being negative, he just really knew my athletic ability, and even more so, my drive to see a task through (let me count the things I have started and left unfinished...). The only reason I even completed a tri, and even after mono, was because I had such support. I was so concerned about raising 2,600 dollars- I had never fundraised in my life- but, when that first donation for 100 dollars came through, I realized I had underestimated the generosity of my friends, and I would be ok. I got a thrill every time someone donated or came out to support a TNT event. The fact that in the end, over 3,000 dollars for TNT was donated on my page, blows me away.

It's been a ride full of ups and downs, and even huge giant waves, and spandex, and lots of food and tears and sweat, but you, my donors, are the fantastic ones. I have learned, through each of you, what generosity truly is. I hope you feel thanked. You deserve it. If not, you know how to reach me, and I will thank you some more!!!

Also, the paintings will be coming shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment