June 20, 2012

the looming death of Petunia

my dear, sweet guinea pig Petunia is enduring her last moments on Earth. Despite two recent trips to the vet, a shot of vitamins and drugs, she is not going to make it, her shallow breathing and listless body are making it evident. She hasn't eaten in days.

i will miss her. she is so sweet, I remember the first time my sister brought her home, she just loooved to be held and cuddled.

Her sister Iris is sleeping next to her right now; I am glad she has a friend to sit with her during this time. It's just the knowledge that she won't be on this Earth much longer, the finality of it, that is so sad. I will mourn her to let her go.

These were taken when she was healthy:




4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry, Heidi.
    Holding you in my thoughts.
    xo,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. no.
    i shall hold you and sweet petunia in my heart. and iris, too....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both, very very much. your comments and thoughts helped me. She was such a sweet pig!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just reading this...i am so sorry. just the other night i was struck with a clear memory of my family's sweet dog that we had to put to sleep years ago...it was enough to make me cry even now. there is something to the simple, bright love of even living animals that often brings me to tears.

    ReplyDelete