May 23, 2012

thankful overload

thanks day 2


1. package from my sister:
    family photos, guinea pig treats, guinea pig book, and card with a hot guy on the front (!!!)

2. package from the plume:
   summer cd, postcards, lip balm, lotion, tea, delicious smelling chocolate (it's nice to win!)

3. library books:
    Let's pretend this never happened by Jenny Lawson, and the girl with the dragon tattoo audiobook (for those commutessssss)

Despite all these unexpected gifts, it was really hard to refrain from perusing Madewell's super sale right now... I need red flats like nothing else. Restraint, restraint!


4 comments:

  1. quite a haul!

    and yes, plume packages are the very best :)

    also, i'm trying to figure out whether i'm going to be totalitarian about my efforts not to spend any money at all, or whether i'm going to allow myself 1 slip-up this month under a certain amount. the project was never about punishing myself or unnecessarily restricting behavior to the extent that i crack and spend $400 on shoes the day it's over. maybe we're allowed 1 free pass for this reason. i keep wavering on this. because then part of me feels like i wimped out.

    thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed: plume packages are the best.

    also agreed: i must crack and spend *something* on myself each payday. otherwise all the work and weariness and paying all the household bills seems for naught. it ain't wimping out: it's simply being good [within reason] to oneself....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hrm, well I am a fan of spending money on myself. But I think for these 30 days I want to refrain from that- focus on not spending money on anything I don't really need for a while. It's only 30 days... although there ARE Memorial Day sales going on that are quite alluring. But honestly, for my budget right now, it is more satisfying to put the money towards debt rather than a pair of red flats. well, almost. I can be good to myself in other ways, maybe instead of looking online for a few hours for the perfect pair of red flats, I can take a lazy bath, or do my nails, cook myself something nice, take some time to draw or throw some pottery...

    but, this what makes sense for my life right now. I think allowing one free pass is certainly not wimping out!! the focus is still on giving thanks. also I am probably going to spend money on myself to buy another rock climbing class, so i dunno... does that count? Maybe that will be my one freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @pencilfox: "it ain't wimping out. it's simply being good {within reason} to oneself." thanks for that. i tend to have a hard time in the grey areas when it comes to these things...i feel safer on either end of the spectrum, because it's easier to tell where i stand, and whether i'm failing or succeeding. but there's grace on the spectrum and i don't need to judge myself so harshly all the time. doing so takes the joy out of the spectrum, too.

    @heidi: memorial day sales...SERIOUSLY. having a hard time with that. thanks for the reminder that there ARE other ways to spend the time other than browsing, shopping, spending, that are most likely a little more fulfilling for the soul!

    ReplyDelete