January 09, 2011

one slight thing more

I just wanted to share this: I went for a run this afternoon, an hour or two before the sun set, right before the time when the sun turns everything gold. I ran out to my spot on the lake, overlooking the lake and the city. The lake had frozen into circles of ice, which were crashing into each other with this most delightful, beautiful sound like frozen icicle chimes. I turned off my music, yanked off my ear warmer, and sat and listened, for a long while. And then, like usual, I started talking, out loud, to God. I laid everything out, with the ice chorus the backdrop to my prayers. I told Him my fears, my worries, my hopes, my concerns, and asked for direction and peace. Then I noticed the sky. Right where I was sitting the sky was split right down the middle- to my right, where the city was, it was overcast and the water and sky were this same sickly yellow-gray. To my left, the sun was setting and the sky was clear, and the water looked like what I call "winter lake" - all blue and pink and purple. Really, most beautiful. And I saw, where I sat, the cloud and clear sky met in the most curious manner. It was a direct line, splitting the sky in two, right above my perch. I said to God, ok God. I'd really rather have the beautiful scene to the left. It's one of your best works. But, if I need to take the right, and travel through an overcast, sickly gray, then ok. Whatever is in store, I am simply convinced God will still be there. But really, I'd prefer the beautiful sunset.

Then I sat and watched the ice chink with the gentle waves for quite some time, and was lulled to peace by their graceful ups and downs. The lake is good. God is good.

I ran home hard, and the icy air pierced my lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment