September 13, 2011

smoke on the water

The Minnesota wildfire has cast it's smoke across Chicago. I work in Lake Bluff; today when I went outside for lunch, there was a distinct haze and smell over the entire industrial park. When I biked to the train station, I thought maybe it was mist from the lake, except that it didn't feel especially damp. Then, when I got off the train in the city and did my final bike ride to my apartment, I realized the whole city was covered in this haze. Only when I talked to a friend and he mentioned the MN fires did I find out, it was indeed smoke. I woke up with itchy eyes and a scratchy throat, that persisted all day- good to know, at least, that this isn't bad allergies, just a lovely cloud of smoke over the city and shoreline of IL. Kind of crazy!

Perfect timing, as I finished The Road on Sunday, a book where the entire world is covered in ash. I realize now how terrible that would really be. The book made me cry, the first book to get a tear from myself in quite a while. I sat and cried a good 15 minutes. Felt good. I also look at food differently, and think about hoarding some jars or canned goods...

Next up is probably Music for Chameleons by Truman Capote. Recommended by Hanan. I'm finishing up Interactions of Color which is a color theory book- really interesting how you can control someone's experience of art and how they perceive colors by a few simple tricks. That book will probably become more of a reference for me when I plan my art.

Speaking of color, I am probably, right now, the most tan I have ever been in my life, thanks to a good burn on Sunday as I read outside for a few hours. And played soccer. And swam in the lake and laid on the cement until I was dry. I like being tan. I feel like I look less tired. Tomorrow night is ceramics.

ok. enough of these meandering thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment